VARN A230 WASH
|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
Blanket, roller and press wash for the printing industry. May be diluted with water.
Irritating to skin.
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long- term adverse effects in the
Accidental ingestion of the material may be damaging to the health of the individual. Swallowing of the liquid may cause aspiration into the lungs with the risk of chemical pneumonitis; serious consequences may result. (ICSC13733). Ingestion of petroleum hydrocarbons can irritate the pharynx, esophagus, stomach and small intestine, and cause swellings and ulcers of the mucous. Symptoms include a burning mouth and throat; larger amounts can cause nausea and vomiting, narcosis, weakness, dizziness, slow and shallow breathing, abdominal swelling, unconsciousness and convulsions. Damage to the heart muscle can produce heart beat irregularities, ventricular fibrillation (fatal) and ECG changes. The central nervous system can be depressed. Light species can cause a sharp tingling of the tongue and cause loss of sensation there. Aspiration can cause cough, gagging, pneumonia with swelling and bleeding. Central nervous system (CNS) depression may include general discomfort, symptoms of giddiness, headache, dizziness, nausea, anaesthetic effects, slowed reaction time, slurred speech and may progress to unconsciousness. Serious poisonings may result in respiratory depression and may be fatal. Considered an unlikely route of entry in commercial/industrial environments. The liquid may produce gastrointestinal discomfort and may be harmful if swallowed. Ingestion may result in nausea, pain and vomiting. Vomit entering the lungs by aspiration may cause potentially lethal chemical pneumonitis.
There is some evidence to suggest that this material can causeeye irritation and damage in some persons. Direct eye contact with petroleum hydrocarbons can be painful, and the corneal epithelium may be temporarily damaged. Aromatic species can cause irritation and excessive tear secretion. Non-ionic surfactants can cause numbing of the cornea, which masks discomfort normally caused by other agents and leads to corneal injury. Irritation varies depending on the duration of contact, the nature and concentration of the surfactant.
This material can cause inflammation of the skin oncontact in some persons. The material may accentuate any pre-existing dermatitis condition. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected. Aromatic hydrocarbons may produce sensitivity and redness of the skin. They are not likely to be absorbed into the body through the skin but branched species are more likely to.
Inhalation may produce health damage*. Inhalation of vapors or aerosols (mists, fumes), generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may be damaging to the health of the individual. There is some evidence to suggest that the material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage. Inhalation of vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness. This may be accompanied by narcosis, reduced alertness, loss of reflexes, lack of coordination and vertigo. Inhalation of high concentrations of gas/vapor causes lung irritation with coughing and nausea, central nervous depression with headache and dizziness, slowing of reflexes, fatigue and inco-ordination. If exposure to highly concentrated solvent atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and possible death. Exposure to white spirit, in a controlled inhalation study using volunteers either at rest or during exercise, (1000 or 2500 mg/m3 for 30 minutes) produced a linear relationship between alveolar and arterial concentrations of the individual solvent components. Pulmonary absorption of the aliphatics ranged from 46-59%, whilst that of aromatic ranged from 58-70%. Although systemic absorption was greater during exercise, the proportion of circulating aliphatic to aromatic components decreased with increased activity. Exposure to 2500 - 5000 mg/m3 produces nausea and vertigo.
Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems. There has been some concern that this material can cause cancer or mutations but there is not enough data to make an assessment. There is some evidence that human exposure to the material may result in developmental toxicity. This evidence is based on animal studies where effects have been observed in the absence of marked maternal toxicity, or at around the same dose levels as other toxic effects but which are not secondary non-specific consequences of the other toxic effects. Chronic solvent inhalation exposures may result in nervous system impairment and liver and blood changes. [PATTYS]. Constant or exposure over long periods to mixed hydrocarbons may produce stupor with dizziness, weakness and visual disturbance, weight loss and anemia, and reduced liver and kidney function. Skin exposure may result in drying and cracking and redness of the skin. Chronic exposure to lighter hydrocarbons can cause nerve damage, peripheral neuropathy, bone marrow dysfunction and psychiatric disorders as well as damage the liver and kidneys. Follicular dermatitis may develop rapidly on repeated immersion of the hands and forearms in white spirits. A Belgian report, produced in 1958, described sub-chronic toxicity amongst workers exposed to white spirit (83% paraffins, 17% aromatics) over a 4 month period. These workers complained of nausea and vomiting and one developed aplastic anaemia; bone marrow depression was confirmed. This employee died several months later as a result of septicaemia. Bone marrow depression, associated with human exposure, might be explained by the presence of myelotoxic compounds, the most notable being benzene.