WATTYL ALPHAGEN 20 RED/BROWN
|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
Used according to manufacturer' s directions.
Irritating to skin.
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.
Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long- term adverse effects in the
Accidental ingestion of the material may be harmful; animal experiments indicate that ingestion of less than 150 gram may be fatal or may produce serious damage to the health of the individual. A metallic taste, nausea, vomiting and burning feeling in the upper stomach region occur after ingestion of copper and its derivatives. The vomitus is usually green/blue and discolors contaminated skin. Acute poisonings from ingestion are rare due to their prompt removal by vomiting. Should vomiting not occur, or is delayed systemic poisoning may occur producing kidney and liver damage, wide-spread capillary damage, and be fatal; death may occur after relapse from an apparent recovery. Anemia may occur in acute poisoning. Not a likely route of entry into the body in commercial or industrial environments. The liquid may produce considerable gastrointestinal discomfort and be harmful or toxic if swallowed. Ingestion may cause nausea, pain and vomiting. Vomit entering the lungs by aspiration can cause inflammation of the lungs, which can lead to death.
There is some evidence to suggest that this material can causeeye irritation and damage in some persons. Copper salts, in contact with the eye, may produce conjunctivitis or even ulceration and turbidity of the cornea. The liquid produces a high level of eye discomfort and is capable of causing pain and severe conjunctivitis. Corneal injury may develop, with possible permanent impairment of vision, if not promptly and adequately treated. There is evidence that material may produce eye irritation in some persons and produce eye damage 24 hours or more after instillation. Severe inflammation may be expected with pain. There may be damage to the cornea. Unless treatment is prompt and adequate there may be permanent loss of vision. Conjunctivitis can occur following repeated exposure.
Skin contact with the material may be harmful; systemic effects may resultfollowing absorption. The material may accentuate any pre-existing dermatitis condition. Exposure to copper, by skin, has come from its use in pigments, ointments, ornaments, jewellery, dental amalgams and IUDs and as an antifungal agent and an algicide. Although copper algicides are used in the treatment of water in swimming pools and reservoirs, there are no reports of toxicity from these applications. Reports of allergic contact dermatitis following contact with copper and its salts have appeared in the literature, however the exposure concentrations leading to any effect have been poorly characterised. In one study, patch testing of 1190 eczema patients found that only 13 (1.1%) cross- reacted with 2% copper sulfate in petrolatum. The investigators warned, however, that the possibility of contamination with nickel (an established contact allergen) might have been the cause of the reaction. Copper salts often produce an itching eczema in contact with skin. This is, likely, of a non-allergic nature. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected. The material may cause moderate inflammation of the skin either following direct contact or after a delay of some time. Repeated exposure can cause contact dermatitis which is characterized by redness, swelling and blistering.
Inhalation of vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness. This may be accompanied by narcosis, reduced alertness, loss of reflexes, lack of coordination and vertigo. There is some evidence to suggest that the material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage. Inhalation hazard is increased at higher temperatures. Inhalation of high concentrations of gas/vapor causes lung irritation with coughing and nausea, central nervous depression with headache and dizziness, slowing of reflexes, fatigue and inco-ordination. If exposure to highly concentrated solvent atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and possible death. Inhalation of aerosols (mists, fumes), generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may be harmful.
There has been concern that this material can cause cancer or mutations, but there is not enough data to make an assessment. Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems. There is some evidence that human exposure to the material may result in developmental toxicity. This evidence is based on animal studies where effects have been observed in the absence of marked maternal toxicity, or at around the same dose levels as other toxic effects but which are not secondary non-specific consequences of the other toxic effects. Exposure to the material for prolonged periods may cause physical defects in the developing embryo (teratogenesis). Copper has fairly low toxicity. Some rare hereditary conditions (Wilson disease or hepatolenticular degeneration) can lead to accumulation of copper on exposure, causing irreversible damage to a variety of organs (liver, kidney, CNS, bone, vision) and lead to death. There may be anemia and cirrhosis of the liver.