|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Although ingestion is not thought to produce harmful effects, the material may still be damaging to the health of the individual following ingestion, especially where pre- existing organ (e.g. liver, kidney) damage is evident. Present definitions of harmful or toxic substances are generally based on doses producing mortality (death) rather than those producing morbidity (disease, ill-health). Gastrointestinal tract discomfort may produce nausea and vomiting. In an occupational setting however, ingestion of insignificant quantities is not thought to be cause for concern. Considered an unlikely route of entry in commercial/industrial environments. Ingestion may result in nausea, pain, vomiting. Vomit entering the lungs by aspiration may cause potentially lethal chemical pneumonitis.
There is some evidence to suggest that this material can causeeye irritation and damage in some persons.
The material is not thought to produce adverse health effects or skin irritation following contact (as classified using animal models). Nevertheless, good hygiene practice requires that exposure be kept to a minimum and that suitable gloves be used in an occupational setting. The material may accentuate any pre-existing dermatitis condition.
Inhalation may produce health damage*. There is some evidence to suggest that this material, if inhaled, can irritate the throat and lungs of some persons. Inhalation hazard is increased at higher temperatures. Inhalation of vapor may result in nausea, headache.
Principal routes of exposure are usually by skin contact/absorption and inhalation of vapor. Prolonged or continuous skin contact with the liquid may cause defatting with drying, cracking, irritation and dermatitis following. As with any chemical product, contact with unprotected bare skin; inhalation of vapor, mist or dust in work place atmosphere; or ingestion in any form, should be avoided by observing good occupational work practice.