WATTYL CRYSTALAC SEALER PART A
|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
Used according to manufacturer' s directions. The use of a quantity of material in an
unventilated or confined space may result in increased exposure and an irritating
atmosphere developing.Before starting consider control of exposure by mechanical
Irritating to skin.
Risk of serious damage to eyes.
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Harmful by inhalation and in contact with skin.
Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Harmful to aquatic organisms.
Accidental ingestion of the material may be damaging to the health of the individual. Not a likely route of entry into the body in commercial or industrial environments. The liquid may produce considerable gastrointestinal discomfort and be harmful or toxic if swallowed. Ingestion may cause nausea, pain and vomiting. Vomit entering the lungs by aspiration can cause inflammation of the lungs, which can lead to death. Central nervous system (CNS) depression may include general discomfort, symptoms of giddiness, headache, dizziness, nausea, anaesthetic effects, slowed reaction time, slurred speech and may progress to unconsciousness. Serious poisonings may result in respiratory depression and may be fatal.
If applied to the eyes, this material causes severe eye damage. The liquid produces a high level of eye discomfort and is capable of causing pain and severe conjunctivitis. Corneal injury may develop, with possible permanent impairment of vision, if not promptly and adequately treated.
Skin contact with the material may be harmful; systemic effects may resultfollowing absorption. The material may cause moderate inflammation of the skin either following direct contact or after a delay of some time. Repeated exposure can cause contact dermatitis which is characterized by redness, swelling and blistering. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected.
Inhalation of vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness. This may be accompanied by narcosis, reduced alertness, loss of reflexes, lack of coordination and vertigo. There is some evidence to suggest that the material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage. Inhalation hazard is increased at higher temperatures. Inhalation of high concentrations of gas/vapor causes lung irritation with coughing and nausea, central nervous depression with headache and dizziness, slowing of reflexes, fatigue and inco-ordination. If exposure to highly concentrated solvent atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and possible death. Inhalation of aerosols (mists, fumes), generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may be harmful. Xylene is a central nervous system depressant.
There has been concern that this material can cause cancer or mutations, but there is not enough data to make an assessment. Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems. There is some evidence that inhaling this product is more likely to cause a sensitization reaction in some persons compared to the general population. There is limited evidence that, skin contact with this product is more likely to cause a sensitization reaction in some persons compared to the general population. There is some evidence that human exposure to the material may result in developmental toxicity. This evidence is based on animal studies where effects have been observed in the absence of marked maternal toxicity, or at around the same dose levels as other toxic effects but which are not secondary non-specific consequences of the other toxic effects. Exposure to the material for prolonged periods may cause physical defects in the developing embryo (teratogenesis). Chronic solvent inhalation exposures may result in nervous system impairment and liver and blood changes. [PATTYS]. Prolonged or repeated contact with xylenes may cause defatting dermatitis with drying and cracking. Chronic inhalation of xylenes has been associated with central nervous system effects, loss of appetite, nausea, ringing in the ears, irritability, thirst anaemia, mucosal bleeding, enlarged liver and hyperplasia. Exposure may produce kidney and liver damage. In chronic occupational exposure, xylene (usually mix ed with other solvents) has produced irreversible damage to the central nervous system and ototoxicity (damages hearing and increases sensitivity to noise), probably due to neurotoxic mechanisms. Industrial workers exposed to xylene with a maximum level of ethyl benzene of 0.06 mg/l (14 ppm) reported headaches and irritability and tired quickly. Functional nervous system disturbances were found in some workers employed for over 7 years whilst other workers had enlarged livers. Xylene has been classed as a developmental toxin in some jurisdictions. Small excess risks of spontaneous abortion and congenital malformation were reported amongst women exposed to xylene in the first trimester of pregnancy. In all cases, however, the women were also been exposed to other substances. Evaluation of workers chronically exposed to xylene has demonstrated lack of genotoxicity. Exposure to xylene has been associated with increased risks of haemopoietic malignancies but, again, simultaneous exposure to other substances (including benzene) complicates the picture. A long-term gavage study to mixed xylenes (containing 17% ethyl benzene) found no evidence of carcinogenic activity in rats and mice of either sex.