|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4
C7-H12, C5H9CH=CH2, "cyclopentane, vinyl-", "cyclopentane, ethenyl-", cyclopentylethene,
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Although ingestion is not thought to produce harmful effects, the material may still be damaging to the health of the individual following ingestion, especially where pre- existing organ (e.g. liver, kidney) damage is evident. Present definitions of harmful or toxic substances are generally based on doses producing mortality (death) rather than those producing morbidity (disease, ill-health). Gastrointestinal tract discomfort may produce nausea and vomiting. In an occupational setting however, ingestion of insignificant quantities is not thought to be cause for concern. Considered an unlikely route of entry in commercial/industrial environments. Ingestion may result in nausea, pain, vomiting. Vomit entering the lungs by aspiration may cause potentially lethal chemical pneumonitis.
Although the material is not thought to be an irritant, direct contact with the eye may produce transient discomfort characterized by tearing or conjunctival redness (as with windburn). The use of a quantity of material in an unventilated or confined space may result in increased exposure and an irritating atmosphere developing.Before starting consider control of exposure by mechanical ventilation. The vapour when concentrated has pronounced eye irritation effects and this gives some warning of high vapour concentrations. If eye irritation occurs seek to reduce exposure with available control measures, or evacuate area.
The material is not thought to produce adverse health effects or skin irritation following contact (as classified using animal models). Nevertheless, good hygiene practice requires that exposure be kept to a minimum and that suitable gloves be used in an occupational setting. The liquid may produce skin discomfort following prolonged contact. Defatting and/or drying of the skin may lead to dermatitis. Bare unprotected skin should not be exposed to this material. The material may accentuate any pre-existing skin condition.
The material is not thought to produce adverse health effects or irritation of the respiratory tract (as classified using animal models). Nevertheless, good hygiene practice requires that exposure be kept to a minimum and that suitable control measures be used in an occupational setting. Inhalation hazard is increased at higher temperatures. Acute effects from inhalation of high vapor concentrations may be chest and nasal irritation with coughing, sneezing, headache and even nausea. If exposure to highly concentrated vapor atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and unless resuscitated - death. Inhalation of vapor may aggravate a pre-existing respiratory condition.
Principal routes of exposure are usually by skin contact/absorption and inhalation of vapor. No human exposure data available. For this reason health effects described are based on experience with chemically related materials. As with any chemical product, contact with unprotected bare skin; inhalation of vapor, mist or dust in work place atmosphere; or ingestion in any form, should be avoided by observing good occupational work practice.