JASOL WIPE OFF
|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
A hand cleaner, to remove grease, rust, dirt, oil, ink, carbon black etc.
"hand wash cleaner", "liquid gel"
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Accidental ingestion of the material may be damaging to the health of the individual. Swallowing of the liquid may cause aspiration into the lungs with the risk of chemical pneumonitis; serious consequences may result. (ICSC13733). Constant or exposure over long periods to mixed hydrocarbons may produce stupor with dizziness, weakness and visual disturbance, weight loss and anemia, and reduced liver and kidney function. Skin exposure may result in drying and cracking and redness of the skin. Chronic exposure to lighter hydrocarbons can cause nerve damage, peripheral neuropathy, bone marrow dysfunction and psychiatric disorders as well as damage the liver and kidneys. Ingestion of petroleum hydrocarbons can irritate the pharynx, esophagus, stomach and small intestine, and cause swellings and ulcers of the mucous. Symptoms include a burning mouth and throat; larger amounts can cause nausea and vomiting, narcosis, weakness, dizziness, slow and shallow breathing, abdominal swelling, unconsciousness and convulsions. Damage to the heart muscle can produce heart beat irregularities, ventricular fibrillation (fatal) and ECG changes. The central nervous system can be depressed. Light species can cause a sharp tingling of the tongue and cause loss of sensation there. Aspiration can cause cough, gagging, pneumonia with swelling and bleeding.
There is some evidence to suggest that this material can causeeye irritation and damage in some persons. Although the liquid is not thought to be an irritant, direct contact with the eye may produce transient discomfort characterized by tearing or conjunctival redness (as with windburn).
The material is not thought to produce adverse health effects or skin irritation following contact (as classified using animal models). Nevertheless, good hygiene practice requires that exposure be kept to a minimum and that suitable gloves be used in an occupational setting. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected.
Inhalation may produce health damage*. Inhalation of vapors or aerosols (mists, fumes), generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may be damaging to the health of the individual. There is some evidence to suggest that the material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage. Inhalation of vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness. This may be accompanied by narcosis, reduced alertness, loss of reflexes, lack of coordination and vertigo. If exposure to highly concentrated solvent atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and possible death. Inhalation of high concentrations of gas/vapor causes lung irritation with coughing and nausea, central nervous depression with headache and dizziness, slowing of reflexes, fatigue and inco-ordination. Inhaling high concentrations of mixed hydrocarbons can cause narcosis, with nausea, vomiting and lightheadedness. Low molecular weight (C2-C12) hydrocarbons can irritate mucous membranes and cause incoordination, giddiness, nausea, vertigo, confusion, headache, appetite loss, drowsiness, tremors and stupor. Massive exposures can lead to severe central nervous system depression, deep coma and death. Convulsions can occur due to brain irritation and/or lack of oxygen. Permanent scarring may occur, with epileptic seizures and brain bleeds occurring months after exposure. Respiratory system effects include inflammation of the lungs with edema and bleeding. Lighter species mainly cause kidney and nerve damage; the heavier paraffins and olefins are especially irritant to the respiratory system. Alkenes produce pulmonary edema at high concentrations. Liquid paraffins may produce sensation loss and depressant actions leading to weakness, dizziness, slow and shallow respiration, unconsciousness, convulsions and death. C5-7 paraffins may also produce multiple nerve damage. Aromatic hydrocarbons accumulate in lipid rich tissues (typically the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves) and may produce functional impairment manifested by nonspecific symptoms such as nausea, weakness, fatigue, vertigo; severe exposures may produce inebriation or unconsciousness. Many of the petroleum hydrocarbons can sensitize the heart and may cause ventricular fibrillation, leading to death.
Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems. Constant or exposure over long periods to mixed hydrocarbons may produce stupor with dizziness, weakness and visual disturbance, weight loss and anemia, and reduced liver and kidney function. Skin exposure may result in drying and cracking and redness of the skin. Chronic exposure to lighter hydrocarbons can cause nerve damage, peripheral neuropathy, bone marrow dysfunction and psychiatric disorders as well as damage the liver and kidneys.