WATTYL ACID CAT THINNER
|SCALE: Min/Nil=0 Low=1 Moderate=2 High=3 Extreme=4|
The use of a quantity of material in an unventilated or confined space may result in
increased exposure and an irritating atmosphere developing.Before starting consider
control of exposure by mechanical ventilation. Also used to clean equipment; spray guns,
paint lines, brushes, etc. Spray thinner for Silkwood lacquers.
"Spraying lacquer solvent reducer cleaning Silk wood"
Risk of serious damage to eyes.
May cause harm to the unborn child.
HARMFUL - May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed.
Irritating to respiratory system and skin.
Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Swallowing of the liquid may cause aspiration into the lungs with the risk of chemical pneumonitis; serious consequences may result. (ICSC13733). There is some evidence to suggest that this material can cause, if swallowed once, irreversible damage of organs. Overexposure to non-ring alcohols causes nervous system symptoms. These include headache, muscle weakness and inco-ordination, giddiness, confusion, delirium and coma. Digestive symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Aspiration is much more dangerous than ingestion because lung damage can occur and the substance is absorbed into the body. Alcohols with ring structures and secondary and tertiary alcohols cause more severe symptoms, as do heavier alcohols. Central nervous system (CNS) depression may include general discomfort, symptoms of giddiness, headache, dizziness, nausea, anaesthetic effects, slowed reaction time, slurred speech and may progress to unconsciousness. Serious poisonings may result in respiratory depression and may be fatal. Accidental ingestion of the material may be harmful; animal experiments indicate that ingestion of less than 150 gram may be fatal or may produce serious damage to the health of the individual.
If applied to the eyes, this material causes severe eye damage. Eye contact with alkyl ethers (vapor or liquid) may produce irritation,redness and tears.
The material may cause moderate inflammation of the skin either following direct contact or after a delay of some time. Repeated exposure can cause contact dermatitis which is characterized by redness, swelling and blistering. There is some evidence to suggest that this material, on a single contact with skin, can cause irreversible damage of organs. Skin contact with the material may damage the health of the individual; systemic effects may result following absorption. Most liquid alcohols appear to act as primary skin irritants in humans. Significant percutaneous absorption occurs in rabbits but not apparently in man. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected.
Inhalation of aerosols (mists, fumes), generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may be harmful. The material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage. There is some evidence to suggest that this material can cause, if inhaled once, irreversible damage of organs. Aliphatic alcohols with more than 3-carbons cause headache, dizziness, drowsiness, muscle weakness and delirium, central depression, coma, seizures and behavioral changes. Secondary respiratory depression and failure, as well as low blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms, may follow. Nausea and vomiting are seen, and liver and kidney damage is possible as well following massive exposures. Symptoms are more acute the more carbons there are in the alcohol. Inhalation of high concentrations of gas/vapor causes lung irritation with coughing and nausea, central nervous depression with headache and dizziness, slowing of reflexes, fatigue and inco-ordination. If exposure to highly concentrated solvent atmosphere is prolonged this may lead to narcosis, unconsciousness, even coma and possible death. Following inhalation, ethers cause lethargy and stupor. Inhaling lower alkyl ethers results in headache, dizziness, weakness, blurred vision, seizures and possible coma. Low blood pressure, slow heartbeat and cardiovascular collapse may be seen with throat irritation, irregular breathing, pulmonary edema and respiratory arrest. Nausea, vomiting and salivation may be seen. There have been deaths reported, and convulsions and paralysis can be found in severe cases. Massive exposures can cause damage to the kidney and liver.
Ample evidence exists, from results in experimentation, that developmental disorders are directly caused by human exposure to the material. Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems. Exposure to the material may cause concerns for human fertility, on the basis that similar materials provide some evidence of impaired fertility in the absence of toxic effects, or evidence of impaired fertility occurring at around the same dose levels as other toxic effects, but which are not a secondary non-specific consequence of other toxic effects.. There has been concern that this material can cause cancer or mutations, but there is not enough data to make an assessment. Chronic exposure to alkyl ethers may result in loss of appetite, excessivethirst, fatigue, and weight loss. Some glycol esters and their ethers cause wasting of the testicles, reproductive changes, infertility and changes to kidney function. Shorter chain compounds are more dangerous. Higher concentrations and prolonged exposure can cause blood in the urine.